Thursday 18 April 2013

WHY CAN'T YOU GIVE *ME* FLOWERS?

Two posts in one day?! Must be your lucky day. This is going to be short as I've ranted as an angry romantic before. Anyway, today, I was shopping with my Mother and asked for some flowers. She very kindly bought me some to lighten up my room with some life (see picture below!). They're awfully pretty Daffodils, some of my favourite flowers which are growing wild everywhere.



I've said how I don't like "conventional romance" before. And this is another thing: what's the matter with guys wanting flowers? I told one of my friends and fellow blogger Jacob and I knew what his immediate reaction would be. He called me "Gay". And this is the idea that homosexuals are feminine of course, etc. and though it's a derogatory use of the word I'm not focusing on that (though think it's an important issue, this post is about flowers, not LGBT rights). No, the thing that gets me: why is it immediately associated as de-masculine idea that a guy wanting flowers obviously shows him to be "weak" and "girly."

Here's the thing: that's an implication that Girls are weaker then Man, saying they're "softer" wanting "soft things" like flowers. So isn't that misogynistic? I mean, if we're equal then it shouldn't be lesser for a man to want a "girly" thing. I would like to say now: recently, I've become less gender-associated with a lot of things for a lot of various reasons most to do with exploring this whole "society set social conventions and values." And so maybe I'm just being a bit more open minded to things and maybe having Gender-based conventions (such as girls getting flowers from Guys) is important for social development?

Actually, bollocks to that. I like flowers but I'm 6''07, got a bloody beard and have a very deep bellowing voice. If to be a man is to be "tough" and to be dominating and stern then I've bloody well covered that criteria. But to me, having some flowers in my room has nothing to do with my Gender at all. I like having flowers because they do add an effect to a room. Am I not allowed to have a sweet, sensitive soul as a guy? Or that just a "girly" thing? Why have my emotions been restricted to just be: angry, bit grumpy, happy and crude.

I guess you can argue "oh well most men don't want to be in touch with their feelings" or "biology plays a part" but frankly, having flowers in my room? Enjoying poetry as I read outside or going for long romantic walks on the beach? Watching musical theatre, listening to certain types of music, liking the colour pink? They're not necessarily "Gay" or "Girly" things. If Men are told they are lesser if they like them, that is  implying these groups are lesser. And that's wrong.

If a girl ever got me flowers, I would be touched. I've gotten girls flowers because I like sharing them and because it is a great sign of affection (one that I approve of. If you just grab a bunch of flowers just because you want to give your lady flowers that's an awfully sweet and nice thing to do if you ask me). And so, I would really like it if one day I was to be in a situation where that happened. We shouldn't tie it to Girls as it's a nice, sweet thing to have in your room and it really brightens up the place already.

While my friend was saying it as a tease, it did get me thinking and of course I felt it only natural to post it here! (And now, back to the Easter Special).

3 comments:

  1. Flowers are cool, and in my opinion, not really associated with gender. In all truth, to me, recieving flowers is just an invitation for tragedy with my flower-eating cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now people like you must spread your opened mindedness to the masses.

      Delete
  2. When I went on a first date with my husband I bought him flowers, he liked them, I liked that! It's a rather old fashioned notion that soft beautiful things are girly and hard tough things are for boys, I don't get it myself, good on your lovely mum for bringing up sensitive son(s) and dad too obviously.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say son? Well damn well say it! (AKA: always looking for feedback/other opinions!)