Monday 3 June 2013

My bag is getting empty.

At the dinner table, my family and I shared conversation about current affairs. Ranging from Sharia law and Julian Assange, I found myself generally out of depth but also very miserable. Eventually, I expressed my misery in dramatic fashion of how I cannot continue any longer because a lot of this talk downright depresses me. I am sort of big into my politics - or so I thought - and do try to keep up. But in comparison to many like my Dad or Brother, I seem to have the cotton wool over my eyes.

And Dom, being very intolerant of people just moaning and not changing attitude to stop moaning, told me to just be quiet sign the petition and tune out. I looked oddly, conversation carried on and we continued to talk of current affairs. I didn't add as much but you know - conversation carried on etc. But what Dom said got me thinking. What I said before that just got me pondering too. Well, actually, I'm lying. I've felt like this for some time now. Generally; I like to know how Governments should work. I like some Political fiction (such as West Wing) and come across as "politically minded."

But over time I've begun to realise: I like knowing how different forms of Government work, I like idealised politics on TV and generally when I can see a fantasy play out in a world where things seems purer. And I'm not upset about this.

I like Political History. And Political Theory, just say "well gee; imagine if were using this and this". On top of that - I happen to like fictional politics. Why? Because it's the same reason I like science fiction like Star Trek: it gives me hope. That humans can achieve things, that people will do good things fundamentally. That men, even with power, are very very human. But it's sort-of a big lie: that's why we have WikiLeaks and Anonymous - because of the corruption around us. And speaking as a young man, I found that very difficult to deal with a lot of ways.

I'm a child, I guess that's part of life. But here's what I'm doing: I'm renouncing my political opinion.

I carry no interest until the day where the great revolution/fight against the Aliens arrives and we form Starfleet. But for now? I'm happy to take my seat out on being interested in anything post 1890. Yes, anything after then. But if you want a debate on the evolution of republics and imperialism and federal reforms I will one day be your guy to ask. As for the more modern stuff? My mark stops after I sign the petition and hand it around online. I don't want the argument or my opinion asked. Because it just makes me want to look up and say: "If I wasn't a Pacifist, I would destroy the world."

Though I'll enjoy my Political fiction. Just like I enjoy my Sci-Fi; it'll be nice to have some hope out there. And I'll vote one day because I still think getting the right man/woman to represent you on some big scheme is worth doing. But I can't do anything more then because it just makes me terribly down. And I already have a natural deposition of that so it'll be nice to try and get a lighter load up in the ol' noggen.

I'd like to thank my brother for this.

For those of you who haven't clicked, the title's a poetic metaphor saying that the bag is my brain and I'm emptying it out of its woes by not caring as much about all this any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say son? Well damn well say it! (AKA: always looking for feedback/other opinions!)