Sunday 1 September 2013

Our final frontier? (Me being deep with Nerdyness).

All week I've been trying to think of something meaningful to say about my friends and I moving school/college/onto Sixth form but I can't think of anything. So instead, I think it's time to just quote Star Trek. Some fans would argue it holds great meaning, that Roddenberry (show creator for those of you don't know) was this great visionary. Maybe he was, I can't speak for him nor can anyone else. But there is a certain line, I'm sure most have heard it at least in parody, played at the beginning of the episodes of Star Trek the Original Series and the Next Generation. It is as follows:

                      “Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before."
 
While I don't count myself as the Captain of a Spaceship (well not really anyway), this quote seems somewhat relevant. Remove the fact it's about a science fiction Show. One thing that as a writer you begin to learn, especially when scribbling for poetry or a blog, is that words are important. Your selection can't be "whatever makes sense" it has to be "whatever seems right.". Or maybe that's me being pedantic. We will never knooooow! Words can meaning anything you want them to mean, which is how you can clarify a good actor from the bad and an honest politician from a filthy liar. It's the way they are delivered and the way they are presented. With the Star Trek "opening"? I think there's a lot of that you can rearrange to make it sound...apt for what I'm trying to say in this post that I've not been able to say because I've ran out of my own words. So please dear reader bear with me and see that I have a point with all this and not just being a complete and utter nerd. 

There was a sense that we were on a voyage for five years, on a mission to try and explore the strange new worlds of highschool and adolescence along with trying to seek out new aspects of life and trying to discover new points about civilisation. We wished to boldly go where no had gone before...In our friends group. Or, where no little 11 year old me, or my friends or my peers had gone. We wanted to be people and wanted to try and find the perks of Secondary school, to explore the world around us. That's part of life, isn't it? Everyone does some bloody exploration. Except, our three series'/five-year mission is over. Captain Kirk has been promoted, Spock's gone all Buddha and McCoy's off being a grumpy old sod in the other direction. Changes happen in the characters line but you wanna know what happened?

They made six films. And about 4/6 of them were good. Then there was the next series' and the legacy of Star Trek carried on. I guess what I'm trying to say is; Kirk, Spock and McCoy got to see each other even with the five-year mission over. Sure, it wasn't the same. They had all this character development and inside jokes that just made them seem like just a bunch of old buggers having a damn good time. I can't say I'm an old bugger, far from it. But I think we've had that character development. And sometimes, the time to hang out will never seem enough or the same as the "old days." But we're not doing that five year mission any more. It sucks but we always have that time of the "Five Year mission" to look back on. 

Right now? I'm about to engage in a two year mission. It's a lot deadlier and might not have the great support cast that the five year one did. I'm treating it like the Star Trek Animated Series; it kind of feels very out of place with itself yet oddly good. I think. Right; I think that's good enough. So remember, dear friends; we have completed our mission. I have no idea if we were successful or not but what I know is that we had a damn good laugh. And while it won't have that same feeling as just "being in class with X, Y & Z", we will have things greater then that linking us together: genuine, honest friendship. 

There we go, something moderately deep with Star Trek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say son? Well damn well say it! (AKA: always looking for feedback/other opinions!)