Wednesday 13 August 2014

1900 Palestinians, 67 Israelis.

This comes from someone with a very limited scope of the struggles of Palestinian men, women and children or the struggles of Jewish men, women and children. But I have watched the news these past 2-3 weeks, I have read articles, I have made sure to hear  varying opinions on this matter. I was watching the News tonight & that figure that I have above as a title is the death toll of both sides. The thing I think that gets me most about this is that John Kerry went on camera only a few months ago and said this concerning Russia and Ukraine: 

"Russia has refused to take a single concrete step in the right direction.  Not a single Russian official, not one, has publicly gone on television in Ukraine and called on the separatists to support the Geneva agreement, to support the stand-down, to give up their weapons, and get out of the Ukrainian buildings" -- (Said by John Kerry, Secretary of State, State Department Press Briefing, Washington DC on 24/4/2014). 

When the US State Department announced its position on Ukraine and Russia, it was one that I implored. Russia has behaved badly against an  area/region of the world that has always been a riddle in Russian politics, the politics of the Cold War. Only for the crisis in Gaza to erupt when suddenly, the United States has not condemned Israel's actions of Zionism. And it makes me physically uncomfortable to think about for a long time. 

Currently, Anti-Semitism has hit a rise in Europe/the Western World. I can't fathom this. I'm always willing to support the Jewish communities of the world; the Jews are a very closed off people due to their beliefs. They believe that they are part of a Covenant, which is welcoming of anyone who respect its customs. However, to be Jewish is not to be Zionist. It is the same as saying that to be Islam is to be terrorist or to be Christian is to be affiliated with the rampant bigotry done in the name of Christ. 

The belief that a Promised Land should be given to the Israelites is one that, as a world-state, we cannot necessarily support. This is not to say that the Jewish people should not feel welcomed in countries; for anyone of any faith should be able to walk as freely as a Roman did during the rein of the Empire - a Civis Romanus for all those of faith should be implemented. That is idealistic to think, I understand, but I speak of a people who have countlessly been attacked by societies and political movements. 

But, for us as a world to just freely give land to any religion that requests it for their ancient Holy Books - often misunderstood -is one that cannot be condoned. I am Quaker, the Englishman William Penn tried to colonise Pennsylvania, it is said to have been founded on Quaker ideals. Over 300 years later, am I entitled to claim it is the province of the Friends of Truth? No. And while the comparison is nowhere near to the extremes of Gaza - for most of the Arab World is very intricate - a principal here stands: we cannot live in a free world if people, in the name of G-d, do not claim that this world is not all our Promised Land. 

The Kingdom of Judaea was once great but has fallen - now we must strive towards a Kingdom of Earth, of unity. So now, I'm unsure what to do for the many Palestinians who suffers thanks to extreme zealous but I shall continue to pledge my support for their freedom. For the numbers above still stay within my mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say son? Well damn well say it! (AKA: always looking for feedback/other opinions!)